Sat, 06 Nov|
6th November Southampton - Full day beginners Jewellery making using silver clay
Make a nature inspired silver pendant necklace, or drop earrings using silver clay. Includes 7 g of silver, a 16 inch sterling silver chain, or ear wires, or a neck cord and up to two CZ stones. Taking inspiration from the textures found in nature you will make your own unique pieces of jewellery.
Time & Location
06 Nov 2021, 10:00 GMT – 11 Dec 2021, 15:50 GMT
Southampton, Oaktree Rd, Southampton SO18, UK
About the Event
This introductory silver clay workshop is all about using silver clay to create beautiful, unique pieces of jewellery.
Silver clay comes in a clay like form and is made up of recycled fine silver powder, an organic binder and water. It can be moulded and shaped like clay before being fired. The binder then burns away and your piece is transformed into a piece of fine silver jewellery. (Fine silver is composed of 99.9% pure silver, and it is a bit more expensive and better quality than sterling silver).
Silver clay offers a great introduction to silver jewellery making because you don't need to purchase lots of tools or equipment and it can easily be done on your kitchen table.
This is a small and relaxed class with no more than 5 students. At the end of the day we will celebrate with a glass of bubbly while. You’ll leave with a unique piece that you will have hand made and could make the perfect present or you can keep it for yourself.
What your will learn;
- The design processs
- Rolling and shaping and cutting
- Using pre-made moulds
- Texturing techniques
- Firing using a gas torch
- Attaching jump rings for a pendant or findings for earrings
- Polishing and finishing
- Celebrating with a glass of bubbly
Additional depending on requirements and any additional requests;
- Making your own moulds
- Using liver of sulphate
- Drilling holes
- Adding a bail back
- Basic stone setting
- Using syringe art clay silver
- Information on firing using a kiln or gas hob
What is included;
- 7g of silver clay (enough to make one or two pieces of jewellery)
- Findings for your pieces that you make (ie jump rings, earring posts, wire for drop earrings)
- Up to 2 fireable gemstones if requested in your design.
-Moulding compound to make your own mould if required.
- Sterling silver chain or silver earrings wires
- All equipment needed in my studio to make your jewellery pieces
- A step by step instruction sheet with pictures (which you can take home)
- As much tea and coffee as you can drink plus some lovely chocolate biscuites
- A polishing cloth with instructions on how to care for your jewellery
- A glass of bubbly or non alcoholic fizz to celebrate the day
What you need to bring;
- A packed lunch and any extra drinks
- An apron if you have one
- Closed toe shoes are recommended
- Hairband (to tie hair back while firing)
There will be a break for lunch where you are welcome to eat your picnic on the garden decking area or inside in the studio. There are also a park or several cafe's and shops just a 5-10 minute walk away.
There is parking on Oaktree Road (if it gets busy there is also a car park close by on Manor Farm Road (near the junction of Dimond Road and next to Riverside Park).
Please note: If you would like to make items of jewellery which are not a necklace or earringsplease let me know in advance so I can try and accommodate and make sure I have all the right materials for you on the day.
See testimonials and pictures taken from my workshops here https://www.rebeccaoxenham.com/workshop-testimonials
Southampton - Beginners£95.00Sold Out
This event is sold out